Monday, March 23, 2009

New Things

I watched the first episode of Eastbound and Down while I was at the gym. It was funny. Then I came home and watched the pilot for Breaking Bad. It was really really good. I'm excited to watch more. I am slowly being sucked into television even though I don't get cable. I didn't get cable when I was a kid either -- my parents thought TV would destroy us. Then again, the kind of shit that was on TV then seems like a big fucking joke compared to the stuff the networks are pumping out now. I'm supremely impressed. Then again, the best thing I saw when I was a kid was Sabrina the Teenage Witch on ABC's TGIF.

I am working on a long poem.

I am trying to be positive.

I am listening to Serge Gainsbourg.

I was at the gym today and I started fantasizing about going on a month-long backpacking trip to clean my body out and to clear my head. I thought about how I would come back 10 pounds lighter and I would probably feel better about interacting with human beings -- like I could leave some of my regrets and awkwardness "in the woods."

I picked up Sartre's Existentialism Is a Humanism. I still need to read Being and Nothingness. I almost bought Being and Time, but I kind of felt a little scared so I didn't buy it.

Alex, give me back my copy of Existentialism and Human Emotions. I think you have it.

I spent a few drunken nights ranting about the "cruelty of life" and "futility of everything" but I kind of feel like I exorcised those thoughts. For now, anyway. Maybe it's just because it's so goddamn hard to feel completely fucked when the sun is starting to come out and I can have a beer with friends on a patio.

3 comments:

Annie Lo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sam pink said...

dude buy BEING AND TIME.

Bryan Coffelt said...

i know, i know. i will.